Heavenly Baked Vacherin
For many of us at Vacherin (the caterer), Vacherin (the cheese) has well and truly earned its place on our Christmas table – in fact Hazel Symeon, our Manager | Procurement organises our Vacherin orders for us!
There’s much discussion in the office about the best way to enjoy Vacherin but we gave Candice Webber, our Head | Food Development the casting vote. Here’s her recipe (which was the pièce de résistance at Le Tour de Vacherin fundraising celebration back in October)
3 shallots, finely chopped
2 sprigs of rosemary, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
30ml Jura Chardonnay
1 whole Vacherin Mont d'Or, 450g
- Warm your oven to 180°C (fan 160°C).
2. Prepare the Vacherin box by removing the wood with a serrated knife to just below the top of the rind.
3. Soften the shallots and crushed garlic in butter. Finish with rosemary and Jura Chardonnay. Then cook off until the wine is evaporated. Allow the mixture to cool until it reaches room temperature.
4. Remove the top rind of your Vacherin with a long-blade knife. Then, evenly spread the thin layer of cooked shallots and cut downwards into the body of the cheese, to distribute the mixture throughout.
5. Replace top rind and lid of the box. Cover in foil to stop catching and burning.
6. Place in your oven and bake for 10 mins. Beware of overcooking as the cheese and wood may split.
7. Remove the foil and lid, then grill the top rind until it is golden and crunchy.
Enjoy with fresh, crusty bread (fondue style) or with charcuterie and cornichons.
Posted by Vacherin on 24 Dec 2018